Saturday, August 13, 2011

My first sprouted seedlings





Today was an amazing day for my gardening journey. Gardening is not the easiest thing to take on. A lot of research, trial and error, as well as patience are required. This morning I went out to water my planter beds, seedlings, and herbs(part of my morning ritual).I had to take a second glance at my seedlings because I noticed that instead of just dirt in the pots there were little sprouts(cantaloupe and watermelon seeds). I almost cried with overwhelming excitement. For those of you who have done this before or are avid gardeners, you must think I am ridiculous. There is a little interesting story behind these seeds....

A couple of weeks ago I decided to start saving my seeds from from my produce. I figured it would save my wallet a few dollars. Most seed packets are about a dollar or two. Since I go to the farmers market every weekend and get fresh produce, it seemed like a frugal and wise idea. I researched and learned how to dry them out and save them for planting in an article by Kylee Baumble called, "Saving your seeds". (Greenlandgardener.com)I planted half of them in little pots and stored the rest. I wasn't very confident they would germinate! But holy freckin heck...by golly they did!!!! I had to share this part of my journey, "from dirt to plate".  It is exciting just getting started. I feel like this journey is going to have so many amazing benefits and surprises along the way.

It is one thing to just cook whatever you come across. However cooking fresh produce that you personally toiled over to bring into your kitchen is a whole other idea. This goal for me and my family has integrity and inspiration wrapped around it. I am also looking forward to having everything right off the vine. WOWZER....wish my soil luck!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you,this adventure will bring a rewarding piece in your heart from your day to day responsiblities as a loving mother and wife,someting that you can share with your kids as they learn with you and experiance the growth of your planting,the feed and careing and watch the changing of the seeds to food.So proud of you and your growth as a great women.your loving father.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Daddy. I really appreciate all of your love and support. Having parents that support all your endeavors really helps through all the good and bad times in life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My little girl looks so cute on that porch,I do hope that she continues to enjoy your likes in the outdoors.Looking forward in watching your garden flourish.

    ReplyDelete