Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The evolution of spring


I cannot believe the way life can evolve! Spring is a time for new beginnings. All winter long, we are hibernating hiding from the cold and rain, trying to stay warm and not let the lack of vitamin D get the better of us. My name means "Little she bear". So let me tell you, I know a little bit about hibernating. My husband often refers to me as "the bear". The cold weather makes me quite the grump! I need my sunshine. I start to find myself anti-social. I am just curled up under my blanket reading book after book. Enjoying my kitchen and cuddling with my husband and children. Having coffee talk day after day with my sister, hulled up indoors...grrrrr.

My heirloom tomatoes will look like this in the summer!

The sheer pleasantries that are exchanged while people hurt inside are so hard hitting. While I love to catch up, I find that my ability to be compassionate can get the better of me. I want to make everyone feel better and lend helping hands, but my grumpy sullen face is just not going to help anyone. I often feel the weight of the world on my shoulders. The winter blues seem to be running me ragged. Learning to pick my “I care battles” has been a challenge, to say the least. Everyone I know and love is going through some sort of life altering painful thing. I too have had my battles that I have fought over the last couple of years. I have learned that you are who you are (you are only as strong as your roots are) and you can work at changing but it is a daily effort, if you love anything or anyone enough to stay to work at it. Life is hard…then you die…as they say. (it is obviously raining out today :./)Well that just sounds so grim, but people sometimes treat life as if it will last forever. Does it? Are we really that invincible. Often a day or person is taken for granted. Grabbing life by its horns and setting goals that will give us satisfaction and overall wellbeing, happiness maybe? Is that just too much to ask?  Well life can be fulfilling, but you need a ray of light in everyday. Don’t you? We have to find strength in some place. I have found that I need to tend to my inner garden. My spirit, my mind and my body. I have been working on obtaining a balance between these places in my daily life.

I have deep, very deep Christian roots in my soul. These are roots that I am thankful for everyday. The Bible talks about seeds and planting. The Bible talks about reaping what you sow.  Gardening is a hard task, something that takes research if you are to be successful and maintenance, perservearance. Soil nurturing is key to a happy garden. In the inner garden it is soul nurturing that takes first priority for me. I cannot give away strength if I don't have any to begin with. I have always wanted a garden. I just as badly want the garden inside of me to flourish. I want to be that ray of light in a person’s day. I need to plant. I have been saving seeds since I moved to this beautiful house, since July of 2011. Every other week I would go to the farmers market and get produce. I love the experience of being outside and selecting my produce.  So, every week I would put aside my seeds. Now I have plenty to plant. I am so excited to get started. Well Spring is here, yet it would seem that auntie Winter has overstayed her welcome. It is time…if it would only stop raining...pretty please.....

2 comments:

  1. Your blog looks great Ursula! Hope you can plant your garden soon! Sorry to hear about all the rain. Spring has come with warm dry weather here in CO. :-) -Monica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Monica, I miss you! Are you coming this summer??? I hope so. ;) I believe this may be the week for me. Keeping my fingers crossed. Plus I get a two week break from school.
      :) Ursula

      Delete